In the Morning Stake: A deputy AD is to be named AD at Colorado State; Bradley Marquez and Kenny Williams pro-day results; Flora honored; Cameron Smith named pitcher of the week; Crabtree gaining interest.
Thanks to @TTUEdits for the cover graphic on the front page. Just did this on his own to help out. Give him a follow!
Parker to Colorado State. Per the LAJ, deputy athletic director Joe Parker will be named the athletic director at Colorado State. You can check out his official site bio This is one of those situations where I don’t know a thing about Parker, although he is originally from Michigan and received his masters degree from Texas. It’s always tough losing key members of a staff, but this is one of those behind-the-scenes guys that I don’t have a clue about so I can’t offer an opinion.
Smith Named Pitcher of the Week. Congrats to senior Cameron Smith for being named the Big 12 Pitcher of the Week! Smith was terrific in a 11-0 win against San Diego State on Saturday afternoon, going 7 deep, 6 strikeouts and 3 hits and 3 walks.
Marquez and Williams Results from Pro-Day. I didn’t see these times reported anywhere else, but NFL’s Gil Brandt reported on Bradley Marquez and Kenny Williams pro-days. A couple of interesting things here:
- Marquez ran a 4.56 and 4.52, a 38″ vertical and a 10-3 broad jump with 17 reps at bench.
- There were no quarterbacks to throw him the ball, so some scouts did that. I don’t know what to think about that.
- Brandy said that the turf wasn’t in good condition, but I could swear that the team was practicing on that turf just this week.
- Williams checked in at 232, which is awesome, ran a 4.8 and 4.78, along with a 26′ vertical, 9-1 broad jump and 25 reps on the bench.
- Brandt thinks that Marquez is a possible late draft pick, while Williams would be a free agent.
- Anyone know who Alcus Fort is?
Flora to be Honored. Congrats to Texas Tech volleyball coach Don Flora for being named to the University of La Verne Hall of Fame! Pretty cool to be honored by your alma mater. Flora coached there for a decade, won 9 straight Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Championships, and won coach of the year there as well. Very cool.
The NCAA’s in 2016. DMN’s Tomm Magelssen has five things that Texas Tech can do to make the NCAA tournament in 2016 and the easy solution is SCORE MORE BUCKETS, SCORE A TON OF MORE BUCKETS!
Most Memorable from 2011. The Red Raider Sports staff answered who of the 2011 class was the most memorable and you have a ton of options, including Jace Amaro, DeAndre Washington, Le’Raven Clark, Jakeem Grant, Bradley Marquez and a handful of others.
Crabtree Drawing Interest from Redskins and Chargers. Apparently Michael Crabtree is drawing interest from the Chargers and the Redskins, via @John_keim.