Track and Field
Six More in Day Three. Congrats to the six additional athletes that will go to Oregon to compete in the NCAA championships:
- Kyle Thompson in the pole vault, was ranked 21st and made the top 12.
- Paetyn Revell in the triple jump.
- Le’Tristan Pledger earned her second qualification in the sprint hurdles.
- Cierra White also earned her second qualification in the 200m dash.
- The men’s 4x100m relay, consisting of Joseph Richards, III, Kyle Collins, C.J. Jones and Steven Champlin.
As LAJ’s Don Williams noted, this did not include Richards in the 400m and Kole Weldon in the shot put and Chris Caldwell in the 100m hurdles, all were in the top 10 heading into the competition.
Just Not Their Days. This stinks because they’ve played much better than this, but the men’s golf team is stting 29th overall and 17-over after two days of the NCAA Championships, with today’s round being the final round of the day. If they’re going to play a round of their lifetimes, today is it. Texas Tech is shooting for the top 15 to continue play on Monday.
Speaking of playing better, Mito Pereira and Clement Sordet were named to the PING All-Region Central team yesterday.
Near Perfect. There was a time in Texas Tech baseball when the only good pitcher was Chad Bettis and on Friday night Bettis took a no-hitter into the 8th inning for the Colorado Rockies.