- Lady Raiders Blown Out by West Virginia. Um, I was not expecting this, a dominating effort from West Virginia where the Mountaineers defeated Texas Tech 79-57 on Saturday evening (recap and box score). Ivonne CookTaylor had 20 points but no one else was able to get into double-figures. Maybe we’re just going to have to wait a year until all of those transfers become eligible before this team is good. I’m not sure. After the game, head coach Candi Whitaker:
“West Virginia is a tough team,” Texas Tech head coach Candi Whitaker said. “We did not shoot the ball very well. They had a lot to do with that, but a lot of it was on us as well. When you shoot 31.9 percent, it is difficult to win Big 12 games. You have to give credit to West Virginia–they are a good team. It was a tough night for us.”
- Could Have Been Worse. LAJ’s Nicholas Talbot recaps the game and notes that CookTaylor scored 10 unanswered points in the 4th quarter, which made the score a bit more respectable, rather than a 28 point deficit, it was only 18.
- More on Texas Tech’s Loss to Kansas. We posted some post game thoughts right after the game so check that out. If you want to check out the official links, here you go: recap | box score | quotes | photo gallery).
- Pulling Away. LAJ’s Krista Pirtle recaps the game and head coach Tubby Smith said that his team was ready to play, just could pull off the win:
Multiple times Texas Tech answered an offensive run by Kansas, only to see the Jayhawks break away again.
As it happened at Iowa State three days prior, the Red Raiders couldn’t power through to take the lead as Texas Tech dropped its first home game of the season, 69-59, to No. 1 Kansas.
“We had some opportunities, but we’re going up against the top team in the country,” Texas Tech coach Tubby Smith said. “They proved tonight why they’re No. 1. I thought our guys were ready to play.”
- Report: Texas Tech to Hire Strength and Conditioning Coach: As posted last night, Texas Tech appears to be close to hiring Louisiana strength and conditioning coach Rusty Whitt. I’ll try to write some additional thoughts to be posted tomorrow.