Player of the Game | Toddrick Gotcher, this win was for the senior in his last game in Lubbock at the USA… he is a true Red Raider that finished with 13 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, and 1 block. Cannot wait to see him in the Big Dance!
Stat of the Game | Tech finishes the Big 12 conference with a .500 record after this win, and is almost a sure lock for the NCAA tournament. Turn down for what!?!?!
How the Game was Won | K-State started out and was up early at 14-4 to begin the first half. Tech was having a hard time buying a basket. KSU was keeping up their defense and made it hard for the Red Raiders to get an easy look at the hoop. Then Tech started to put the pressure D on KSU, and things started to change. Shots began falling for Tech before the half, and momentum shifted. Tech capped a 23-5 run to close the first half. It was 36-28. The Red Raiders keep up the tempo to start the second half. Up 49-36 with about 15 minutes left in the second half. The battle kept on and KSU was not backing down into the middle second half, even with Tech leading. Some sloppy play let KSU get within 8 points, with under 7 minutes left. Aaron Ross hits two threes and Tech goes up 65-53 with under 5 minutes left. KSU had full court defense that kept pressure on Tech the rest of the way. It tripped up the Red Raiders a little bit, but would not be enough to beat us. Tech wins!!!
Turning Point | To end the half Tech flushed an alley-oop from Evans to Zach Smith with about a minute left in the first half. The crowd and the players were instantly ignited with the lead. Ended the half with the Red Raiders winning 36-28. KSU wasn’t going away, but Tech still had the momentum halfway through the second. It kept up and never folded, Tech went on to get the victory.
– A slow start for Tech.
– Norense Odiase made his first appearance about 8 minutes into the game since his injury.
– Tech never got rattled after going down by double-digits to KSU.
– Tech defense turned it up when needed.
– Odiase is back to being a big-time presence in the post.
– Zach Smith can still fly.
– Matt Temple continues to get better each game.
– 3-point shooting is much better for Tech than earlier in the season.
– Tubby Smith has fire, and this program means something to him. He wants to win.
– Tech let the big lead slip with under 7 minutes to go.
– The Red Raiders make baskets when they count, Ross and Evans with dagger 3-point makes under 5 minutes left.
– With the pressure on Tech, the players kept their composure.
– MARCH MADNESS HERE WE COME!!!!!
What is Next? | Next stop is the Sprint Center in Kansas City on Wednesday at 8:00 PM for the Big 12 Tournament. It is where #7 Texas Tech faces #10 TCU… Wreck ’em Tech!!!