Texas Tech 75, Utah State 51
- Well, this started out similar to the Auburn game, a slow start in the first half and then the rain came down. The second half of this game was simply an onslaught of Texas Tech buckets as Texas Tech ended up scoring 45 points in the second half and held Utah State to just 19 points resulting in the final score
- You should have watched just for the Zach Smith highlights. Smith scored 21 on 9 of 10 from the floor and offered an array offensive moves and dunks that resulted in some incredible highlights. Smith had 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 turnover, 1 block, and 1 steal. He was absolutely on point and if that’s the Zach Smith we get for the year then sign me up. He was an absolute terror from a match-up perspective for Utah State as they just didn’t have an answer for Smith.
- Aaron Ross sat out this game for precautionary reasons, at least that’s what Doug Gottlieb said. I’d hope that he’s okay.
- Anthony Livingston could not miss in the second half, was 10 of 16 from the floor, scoring 28 points including 5 of 9 three-point shots, to go along with 9 rebounds, 1 assist and just 1 turnover. He was a terrific outside option and where he couldn’t hit anything against Auburn, he couldn’t miss. Without Ross playing, Texas Tech needed a three-point threat and Livingston provided it. Beard commented about Livingston’s game and how he responded after the Auburn game:
“It’s all about how you respond,” Texas Tech head coach Chris Beard said. “Last night was probably one of the most disappointing nights for him (Livingston) in his playing career. Character comes out during adversity. Anthony really responded like a senior is supposed to. “
- No one else scored in double-figures, but as a team, Texas Tech shot 54% from the field and really, no one else stood out offensively, although I continue to love the play of Devon Thomas, who only scored 4 points, but he dished out 5 assists and he’s a fun player to watch, he had some pretty layups in the offense and an awesome alley-oop to Smith.
- After the initial offensive outburst for Keenan Evans, he’s struggled offensively and he was only 2 of 10 from the field scoring 6 points, but he also had 7 rebounds, 4 assists and just 1 turnover.
- Justin Gray got the start along with Thomas and he was a bit off during the game, but truthfully, he does a nice job of not forcing things. Gray was 3 of 4 from the floor scoring 6 points, 4 rebounds
- Early in the game, Texas Tech was switching on all pick and rolls and that worked out terribly, and it seemed like it took a bit too long for Beard to make a change. The result was Utah State posting up their big men while being guarded by Texas Tech’s guards. But eventually, Texas Tech switched up their defense and played some zone and Utah State eventually fell out of rhythm.
- Next game is Friday at 2:00 pm at the USA and will be on FOX Sports Southwest. So you’ll have your fill of Texas Tech athletics as the football team kicks off at 5:00 pm on Friday as well.