Texas Tech 69, Incarnate Word 48
- Another game that I didn’t get to see because I don’t get this particular channel. Hopefully there won’t be a ton more of these.
- Generally speaking, Texas Tech jumped out early to a good sized lead, 15 or so, and then Incarnate Word came back a bit, closing the game to 10 or so and then, Texas Tech stepped on the gas in the second half and Texas Tech ended up winning by 21. This is the same Incarnate Word team that lost to Texas by 5. As an aside, the UTA Mavericks beat the Longhorns, in Austin, 72-61, the other night. Texas Tech hasn’t been great, they’ve beaten who they are supposed to beat for the most part, but they haven’t stubbed their toe like the Longhorns.
- So, Texas Tech wins by 21, but only makes 1 of 11 three-point shots. This team isn’t necessarily going to live or die by the three-point shot, but they will need to be better than this. The only player to make a three-point shot was Shadell Millinghaus who was 5 of 7 and 1 of 3 from the three-point line with 14 points overall, 7 rebounds an assist and a turnover.
- What helped the team quite a bit is that the team made 75% of their free throws, which I can certainly live with and that’s a good trend.
- The leading scorer was Millinghaus and Justin Gray, who got the start along with Smith, Evans, Livingston and Thomas. Gray had 14 points on 5 of 9 from the field, with 14 points, 6 boards, 4 assists, a block and a turnover. That’s a well-rounded game and a game that I somewhat expect from Gray moving forward. His game translates to Big 12 play and I’ve always loved his mid-range game.
- Zach Smith had a couple of highlights that you need to check out, but he finished with 13 points, 6 rebounds, 4 blocks and 2 turnovers.
- Texas Tech out-rebounded Incarnate Word by 10 boards, had only 12 turnovers to Incarnate Word’s 22 turnovers and had 14 fastbreak points to UIW’s 4. Also good is that Texas Tech had 14 assists to those 12 turnovers. Texas Tech also took advantage of those UIW turnovers, scoring 23 points off of turnovers and absolutely dominated inside, scoring 40 points inside the paint to just 9 points for Incarnate Word.
- Make sure and check out the first video, lots of dunks and highlights, especially Smith.
- Texas Tech hosts Rice on Saturday at 1:00 pm.