Texas Tech Administration
Texas Tech hired Tony Hernandez as the next Deputy Director of Athletics at Texas Tech. Hernandez takes over for Chad Weiberg who went to his alma mater at Oklahoma State. Hernandez was previously at Miami:
Hernandez served as a Senior Associate AD and Deputy AD under Hocutt during the latter’s time in Miami (2008-11), and eventually served as the interim athletics director following Hocutt’s decision to come to Lubbock.
“I am pleased to announce the addition of Tony to our staff,” Hocutt said. “He has an impressive resume and will add an experienced voice to our team. I had the pleasure of working with him during my time at Miami, and he became a trusted colleague. He and his family will be a great addition to our community.”
Texas Tech Golf
Congrats to the ladies who will be moving on to the NCAA Championships after finishing 5th in the Lubbock regional! Only the second time in program history to advance. Here’s how the NCAA Championships will work:
Tech will officially tee off at the NCAA Championships on May 19 to start three days of stroke play. The top eight teams will then advance to match play – a format Tech participated in just two years ago – where a national champion will be named. The NCAA Championships run May 19-24 at Rich Harvest Farms in Sugar Grove Illinois, just outside Chicago.
Recap | #TexasTech uses another consistent round to defend home course, advance to NCAA Championships.
— Texas Tech W Golf (@TexasTechWGolf) May 11, 2017
— Texas Tech W Golf (@TexasTechWGolf) May 10, 2017
Texas Tech Tennis
— Texas Tech Tennis (@TexasTechTennis) May 10, 2017
— Texas Tech Tennis (@TexasTechTennis) May 9, 2017
Texas Tech Football
ESPN’s Mitch Sherman ranks the Big 12 running backs and has Texas Tech 10th overall and it’s hard to argue with that:
10. Texas Tech (9): All of the rushing production from last season returns, aside from Patrick Mahomes’ scrambling, but the Red Raiders essentially gave up on the running game, ranking 123rd nationally. That said, Justin Stockton, Da’Leon Ward and Demarcus Felton are capable and experienced. Stockton missed the second half of the spring with a head injury, an ominous development. Tech is looking for a grad transfer and adds Desmond Nisby as a big back in August.
- SB Nation’s Bill Connelly started his 2017 previews and he’s started with Kansas. These are terrific and I typically bookmark these to refer to when I’m trying to learn about teams over the summer.
- Via NOLA, Jonathan Giles will visit LSU as a transfer destination.
- Red Raider Sports’ Drew Kohnle recaps the commits and transfers to Texas Tech this past week. With the issues that the site had earlier this week, I’m behind, so this is a good way to catch up for sure.
- Red Raider Sports’ Will McKay has a very long Q&A with Texas Tech dietician Dayna McCutchin. There’s a ton that goes into her job and I can’t imagine undertaking the dietary needs for over 400 athletes, not just the football team.