What a whirlwind of a weekend. I was writing “hate to see you go” posts for Kingsbury with the thought that Texas Tech would move another direction and then he goes off and wins his second game in Austin AFTER BEING DOWN AT HALFTIME!
I hit the hay at 11:30 on Friday night and don’t fall asleep until 12:30 or so. I get up at 4:00 in the morning and then start writing, finish up the Ten Things post and the men’s basketball preview right before 6:00 and head off to go for my Saturday morning run, but this time I get to run with my little brother who was in town for the holiday. I had more crud to do on Saturday and then passed out on Saturday night around dusk and totally missed the two commits until Sunday morning, where I then had to write about the whipping that the men’s basketball team put on Savannah State and those two commits.
Texas Tech Volleyball
Recap – Hill, Owens record double-doubles as Tech drops regular season finale at No. 22 Iowa State
— Texas Tech Volleyball (@TexasTechVB) November 26, 2017
Our 2017 season will continue in San Marcos this Thursday.
— Texas Tech Volleyball (@TexasTechVB) November 27, 2017
Lady Raider Basketball
Check out the radio highlights from today’s contest against the No.19 Texas A&M Aggies. #WreckEm
— Lady Raider WBB (@LadyRaiderWBB) November 26, 2017
Texas Tech Football
Trying to keep up with what was happening on Twitter was mind-boggling. Arizona State’s Todd Graham, UCLA’s Jim Mora, Texas A&M’s Kevin Sumlin, Tennessee’s Butch Jones, Nebraska’s Mike Riley and Arkansas’ Bret Bielema all were looking for new jobs as well as Florida and Tennessee being open. Florida hired Dan Mullen, Arizona State hired Sumlin, UCLA hired Chip Kelly and I think there are likely other dominoes to fall, but the debacle that happened at Tennessee, where they essentially hired Greg Schiano, then because of Twitter backlash, then backed the entire thing up and he’s no longer the head coach.
I’m still considering everything that happened for Texas Tech on Friday night, but given what’s happened in college football on yesterday, I think staying put might be a pretty decent idea. I’ve always said that I do not want Kingsbury to fail and my concern on Saturday morning was whether or not we were looking at the totality of the circumstances or just that one game. Texas Tech was close (this only gets you so much) on a handful of those games where a decent kicker could have changed quite a bit. I’d also add that if Kingsbury makes some assistant coaching changes, which I expect to happen, then maybe we’ve got something cooking.
- A-J Media’s Don Williams:Williams: Kingsbury becoming a master of walking the tightrope
- A-J Media’s Don Willliams: Tech AD Hocutt says Kliff Kingsbury will return as Red Raiders coach in 2018
- A-J Media’s Don Williams: Tech-Texas notebook: Carter makes first start for Red Raiders
- Carlos Silva, Jr.: SILVA JR.: Carter’s first start at QB a footnote to bigger storyline
- ESPN: College football bowl projections – Texas Tech vs. Oregon @ the Cactus Bowl; Texas Tech vs. Texas A&M at the Texas Bowl
- SI: 2017 Bowl Projections: What Life Outside the Playoff Looks Like for Alabama – Texas Tech vs. North Texas @ the Heart of Dallas Bowl
- CBS Sports: Bowl projections: Alabama not out of the College Football Playoff picture just yet – Texas Tech vs. Oregon @ the Cactus Bowl
- A-J Media’s Michael LaBarre: How the Texas Tech commitments fared