With the December date coming up, don’t be surprised to see a flurry of recruiting activity between now and December 20th. And technically, players can sign from December 20th through the 22nd, so there’s a three day window for players who graduate in December as well as early enrollees from the JUCO ranks to sign in December.
- I mentioned when receivers Myller Royals and Erik Ezukanma committed that I’ve just not had the time to get my recruiting table updated. There’s also some bad code in there and I can’t figure out what it is, so I’ve got to take care of that over the weekend.
- Maybe the biggest news is that Byron Hanspard II (a.k.a. BJ Hanspard) decommitted from Arkansas. They’ve been looking for a head coach and an athletic director, essentially all at the same time and he’s looking elsewhere. Hanspard’s big three schools that all of the experts had him going to was Arkansas, Texas Tech and Baylor so the guess is that Hanspard would decide between Baylor and Texas Tech. Some of the Baylor experts have predicted on 11/29 that Hanspard would go to Baylor, so maybe don’t get your hopes up.
- Tristen Wallace, the former DeSoto quarterback turned athlete at Oregon is predicted to go to Texas Tech, at least by Zach Tanner at ITRR. Wallace ws kicked out of Oregon for an alleged sexual assault incident. No charges were ever brought and I haven’t been able to find anything regarding how that turned out. Wallace (6-4/230) then transferred to TVCC in Athens where he caught 25 passes for 417 yards and 7 touchdowns. Wallace is really much bigger than his opponents, even at JUCO and his route-running isn’t complicated. You can check out his Hudl for video. I could see how Wallace is maybe a tight end sort of prospect if this does happen.
- There will most likely be some decommits in the upcoming weeks. Don’t be shocked if it is one of the better players. Usually in situations like this, it is the coaching staff asking that player to decommit, perhaps because of grades or other reasons.
- Defensive tackle Charles Cameron (6-2/290) from Copiah-Lincoln C.C. is essentially choosing between Texas Tech, Louisville and Florida Atlantic. Cameron’s Hudl video is really impressive. It may be part of the strategy to have a a JUCO defensive tackle as part of the plan going forward. Not a ton of them, but a couple. With how well Mych Thomas worked out, , this is something where you can see how the coaching staff may want to continue that trend.
- Remember what I said where Texas Tech may lose a copule of commits. I tend to think that may be at receiver. Before Royals and Ezukanma, there were already four commits in Gabriel Douglas, KeSean Carter, Sterling Galban and Corey Fulcher. I think that there are couple to be a couple of more receiver types end up visiting, including Maureese Wren (6-4/215), a big receiver from Mesquite Horn. Throw in Wallace and now you’ve got too many bodies there so it seems likely that someone won’t be there. Wren’s Hudle videos show exactly what you might think. A really big kid that’s physically better than most of the players he is playing against.