With the conference championship games complete, we’re increasingly close to the bowl announcements and here are the latest projections for Texas Tech football.
- ESPN predicts that Texas Tech will play North Texas in the DXL Frisco Bowl (at Toyota Stadium in Frisco) or the Zaxby’s Heart of Dallas Bowl in the Cotton Bowl against Utah.
- CBS Sports predicts the Cactus Bowl against Oregon.
- SBNation predicts Texas Tech vs. UCLA in the Heart of Dallas Bowl.
- Sports Illustrated also predicts the Heart of Dallas Bowl against North Texas.
- USA Today predicts Texas Tech will play Wake Forest in the Quick Lane, which is in Detroit, played at Ford Field.
- Bleacher Report predicts Texas Tech will play SMU in the Birmingham Bowl.
What all of these projections presume, except for the USA Today and Bleacher Report predictions, is that TCU will be given a spot in a New Year’s Six Bowl, which leaves the Big 12 with six Big 12 bowl tie-ins, but if TCU doesn’t make NY6 bowl game then Texas Tech could fall to some other at large bowl game, like the Quick Lane Bowl or the Birmingham Bowl. This could also mean that Texas Tech could be left out of a bowl, although that seems unlikely.