After a brief hiatus, I’m back to highlight what’s happening here out in West Texas, which includes some exciting news from Lubbock’s Plains Brew Co.
When I first visited with owner/brewer Mickey Minter, opening a tavern or on-site taproom seemed to be far off in the future due to some unforeseeable red tape. I’m glad to share that the tavern will be open for business this Saturday. Not only that, but Mickey will be debuting his second beer, a stout. I plan on making it out there somewhere between 2-3pm, so come say hello.
We celebrated my wife’s birthday on Saturday at The Funky Door, and what an evening. This was our first time at the new location. I made reservations this time, having learned my lesson before, and we were seated on the second floor next to the wine tower and overlooking the restaurant.
I can’t rave about this place enough, especially to celebrate a special occasion. Once they learned it was a birthday dinner, they even brought a complimentary glass of champagne with a maraschino cherry. From the atmosphere (live music started around 7pm), to the fondue, to the staff, to the fried pickles (which were more like egg rolls wrapped around pickles and melted havarti), everything was fantastic.
A few of the upcoming Lubbock happenings (see calendar for more):
- Check out the Facebook Event for the Plains Brew Co. Tavern opening for more info including the address
- Music, you say? Well, how about American Aquarium, Wade Bowen & Red Shahan
- Fancy music, you say? How about the Lubbock Symphony Orchestra and their French Impressions show
- Texas Tech Sports in action over in Lubbock over the next several days include Men’s Tennis, Track & Field, Women’s Basketball, and Men’s Basketball
- There’s Luche Libre wrestling Saturday Night
- Last, but not least, Blue Oasis is hosting a Carnival Food day on Sunday serving up all of your favorites: funnel cakes, Texas taters, fried Oreos, fried snickers, and deep fried all beef corn dogs