We’re going to begin the recruiting update with a look at a couple 2018 recruits.
Otito Ogbonnia – Defensive Tackle (Katy Taylor HS, Katy, TX)
|Height||Weight||40 Yard Dash||Shuttle|
Interest: Nebraska (Warm), Tennessee (Warm), Texas Tech (Warm), UCLA (Warm)
With the decommitment of John Graves and Cameron Valentine, the Red Raiders are looking for prospects on the defensive line. One of those is Ogbonnia, who listed Texas Tech in his Top 6 this past week. Ogbonnia also listed Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, Tennessee and UCLA as well. Out of those schools, Teaxs Tech was the second school to offer (Ole Miss was the first). The Red Raiders were also the first school to get an official visit from Ogbonnia, who was present for the Arizona State game. Ogbonnia plans to commit on National Signing Day to one of those school, and it very well may be Texas Tech.
Now to look at what Ogbonnia brings to the table. The first things that stands out about the senior is his length. A lot of talented lineman have a lot of length and are able to use that length to get offensive linemen off them quicker. He also is a big defensive tackle, bigger than what we’re used to seeing from defensive tackles at Texas Tech. Finally, he has a lot of strength, He appears to be a little raw at times, but he can use his strength to get into the backfield quickly. Ogbonnia would be a great addition to Texas Tech.
Jacoby Simpson – Inside Linebacker (Aldine MacArthur HS, Houston, TX)
Interest: Kansas State (Warm) TCU (Warm), Texas Tech (Warm), Texas A&M (Warm)
The Red Raiders didn’t have a linebacker committed at all in the 2018 class. But with Jonathan Picone announcing he was leaving about three weeks ago, Tech decided they needed a linebacker to fill his void. Simpson was offered on January 11 (a day before Picone announced he was transferring), just a month after Simpson decommitted from Arizona State. Around the same time, TCU offered and Simpson visited the Horn Frogs in Fort Worth. Simpson’s final visit came last weekend when the inside linebacker took a trip to Lubbock. The senior plans on announcing on National Signing Day, which may be a busy day for the Red Raiders.
Let’s take a look at what Simpson can do. Simpson reminds me a lot of Jordyn Brooks because of his big frame for a linebacker out of high school. He reads the quarterback well and has good instincts around of the football. Against the run, he can get to the ball carrier quickly before he can get up-field. Most importantly, he knows how to tackle well. Simpson would be a great addition to the 2018 class.
And now for our recruiting updates, starting with football.
- SaRodorick Thompson, 81 rated RB, was offered by Texas Tech and committed to the Red Raiders on Sunday. Thompson officially visited Lubbock on Friday and decided to commit a couple days after. Matt Clare of Rivals spoke to Thompson shortly after, discussing his visit, getting the offer and his status.
- Cam’Ron Jones, 91 rated S, committed to Nebraska on Saturday. Jones was originally committed to Texas Tech, before committing to UCLA and now the Huskers.
- Jacoby Simpson, 86 rated LB, visited Texas Tech over the weekend. Simpson appeared to enjoy his visit, expressing his excitement with fire emojis. Simpson visited TCU the weekend prior.
- Ta’Zhawn Henry, 84 rated RB, visited Lubbock this past weekend. Henry already visited Oregon State and plans to visit Nebraska this weekend.
- John Stephen Jones, 84 rated Pro-QB, took a trip to Lubbock over the weekend. Jones has four offered and has taken a visit to SMU. He will visit Arkansas this weekend.
- Preston Gordon, Rice DT transfer, visited Texas Tech over the weekend as well. Gordan said on twitter that Tech “showed a lot of love” and “what an awesome visit”.
- Patrick Curley, NR LB from Wagoner (Okla.), visited Texas Tech over the weekend. If I had to guess, he’s getting looked at as a PWO.
- Caden Leggett, 80 rated WR, accepted a PWO to Texas Tech on Thursday. Leggett took a PWO at Tech over offers from Army, Central Arkansas and Texas State. Leggett talked to Zach Tanner of 247sports and Maitland Rutledge of Rivals about his commitment to the Red Raiders.
- Trey Wolff, NR Kicker from Spring, accepted a PWO spot with the Red Raiders on Sunday. Wolff had offers from UMass and North Texas, with PWOs from Houston and Oklahoma State. Zach Tanner of 247sports spoke to Wolff after the commitment about his visit, why he choose Tech and about special teams.
- Jake Kirkpatrick, NR DB from Lubbock-Cooper, accepted a PWO spot with Texas Tech on Saturday. Kirkpatrick is a third generation Tech athlete (Jack and Ben Kirkpatrick) and could be offered a scholarship according to Mike Graham. Zach Tanner of 247sports and Maitland Rutledge of Rivals also talked with him.
- Marcus Stripling, 92 rated DE, received an offer from the Red Raiders on Wednesday. Striping has 17 offers currently, which includes Florida, Texas A&M, LSU and Oklahoma.
- Jalen Catalon, 91 rated 2019 DB, received an offer from Texas Tech on Friday. Catalon is from Mansfield Legacy and has 20 offers thus far.
- Elijah Higgins, 88 rated WR/TE, received an offer from Texas Tech on Wednesday. Higgins has 19 offers and went to the same high school as Tech OT Madison Akamnonu and current basketball commit Kyler Edwards before he transferred out.
- Colt Ellison, 82 rated DE, received an offer from the Red Raiders on Tuesday. Ellison has seven offers thus far, which inlcudes Baylor, Illinois and TCU.
- Logan Parr, NR 2020 OG, received his first Power 5 offer from the Red Raiders on Friday. Parr is from Helotes O’Connor and has offers from Toledo, Tulane and Tulsa.
- Dougie Facendo, a C from Howard JC, committed to the Red Raiders on Monday. Facendo is listed as a catcher and a first baseman on Perfect Game.
Kliff NORAD Tracker:
- Jan. 22 – Clay Jennings stopped by South Oak Cliff on Monday. 2019 Texas Tech commit Steven Parker goes there, along with DB
- Jan. 22 – Some Texas Tech coaches visited John Tyler on Monday. Some players Texas Tech could be recruiting there are Ke’Andre Street and Cameron Grant.
- Jan. 23 – Terrance Jamison and David Gibbs visited Preston Gordon on Tuesday. Gordon, a Rice DT transfer, visited Lubbock this past weekend.
- Jan. 24 – Brett Drewhurt visited Houston Heights on Wednesday. Some 2019 targets Dewhurst could have visited are Derrick Smith and E’Munn Parker.
- Jan. 24 – Some Texas Tech coaches visited Cedar Hill on Wednesday. There are too many 2019 players to name, but athletes the coaches could have visited are TCU commit Donavann Collins and Xavier Ross among others.
- Jan. 24 – Emmett Jones visited Midlothian Heritage on Wednesday. Jones was likely there to see 2019 WR Langston Anderson.
- Jan. 25 – Kingsbury and Terrance Jamison visited John Scott at his high school on Thursday. Scott is committed to the Red Raiders, but has not signed his NLI yet. Scott visited Texas Tech a couple weekends ago.
- Jan. 25 – Kingsbury, Emmett Jones and Clay Jennings visited Ta’Zhawn Henry at his high school on Thursday. It was Henry’s birthday and right before he visited Lubbock.