- This was a pretty close game, a closer game than maybe the score indicates. ASU was right there for the better part of the game. Before you fret, ASU has a ton of Division I transferees and they’ll probably be pretty good if they can gel together.
- The player of the game was probably Keenan Evans, who finished with 21 points on just 7 shots to go along with 3 rebounds, 5 assists and 2 turnovers in 31 minutes. That’s a pretty good line.
- There were two other players in double-figures, Niem Stevenson finished with 14 points on 5-10 from the floor with 6 rebounds and Zach Smith had 10 points on 4-6 to go along with 8 rebounds, 6 assist and 0 turnovers. Those are both pretty good lines for guys that you expect to be big parts of the team.
- The free throw shooting was pretty abysmal, making only 57% of free throws (Texas Tech shot 55% from the floor so it’s not as if they can’t shoot). The biggest offenders here were Jarrett culver missing all 4 of his free throws, Justin Gray just made half of his, Zach Smith only made 2 of 5 and Zhaire Smith only made 3 of 5.
- In very limited minutes, Brandone Francis was good, making both of his three-point shots to finish with 7 points.
- Tommy Hamilton had a rough night, only finishing with 7 points and no rebounds from the starting center. Malik Ondigo only played a minute and Norense Odiase only had 10 minutes and didn’t score a point. Pretty rough night for the centers, but they’ll be fine. Beard said after the game that in the secret scrimmage, Hamilton was the best player on the court and it will be about consistency for Hamilton. Beard also mentioned that it was just good to get Odiase on the court and I’d agree.
- The other freshmen, Jarrett Culver, finished with 8 points on 4-6 from the floor with 4 rebounds while Zhaire Smith had 9 points on 3-6 and 3 boards. Davide Moretti was scoreless in 9 minutes with a rebound and 2 assists. I think until Moretti gets some real strength he may struggle to find his way. I hope I’m wrong, but it’s a different and more physical game and I think there’s going to be an adjustment period for him.
- Josh Webster saw just 6 minutes and didn’t take a shot, but did have 3 rebounds and an assist. Hyron Edwards is in concussion protocol, so they hope to have him back soon.
- Texas Tech finish with 20 assists to 13 turnovers, while they forced ASU into 16 turnovers and limited them to just 11 assists. The Red Raiders also out-rebounded ASU 41-29