Outside the Huddle. #fashionblog First question out of the gate was about the uniforms and Kingsbury said that they’ve somewhat reigned in the uniforms (or something like that) and not so much outside the box as the past two years. Also said that he still isn’t happy about the offensive performance against Kansas and is happy about the play of the defense. This is a great weekly feature.
He Was a Safety.
You may be shocked to hear this, but Texas recruited Texas Tech QB Patrick Mahomes as a safety, per Mahomes' father.
— Paul Myerberg (@PaulMyerberg) October 22, 2015
To be fair, perhaps when Texas was recruiting Patrick Mahomes, he actually was a safety, which is what he played as a sophomore. Of course, it’s much more fun to just be critical.
Mahomes Added to Maxwell and Manning Award Watch Lists. Congrats to QB Patrick Mahomes who has been named to the Maxwell Award and Manning Award watch lists. The Maxwell Award goes to the nation’s top football player and the Manning Award goes to the best quarterback.
Notebook: Breaking Down Clark’s 2-Point Conversion. LAJ’s Don Williams has his notebook for the day:
- Pretty good stuff from Darrin Chiaverini as he talked about the 2-point conversion and essentially Chiaverini makes the call as to whether or not to go with the special play or the extra point at the time the defense lines up:
On making the call: “I call it from the sideline, so I look at the (defense’s) look. If I like it, I call it. If I don’t like it, we shift (into a regular PAT formation).”
- Taylor Symmank’s tight hamstring is a problem and it’s day-to-day and after last week where Symmank couldn’t fnish the game, Clayton Hatfield kicked off and Michael Barden punted, one of those punts being the one that pinned Kansas inside their 7 yard line.
Ranking the Remaining Five. LAJ’s Don Williams ranks the five remaining games in terms of difficulty:
The final five has arrived with Tech sitting at 5-2 and 2-2 in the Big 12. How the Red Raiders fare will determine whether the program takes a major step forward, shows marginal improvement or settles somewhere in between.
No victory the Red Raiders notch from now until the end of the regular season will lead SportsCenter. The toughest assignment might be this week at Oklahoma, which is ranked No. 17 and favored by two touchdowns.
Campus Rush on Texas Tech vs. Oklahoma. Campus Rush is Sports Illustrated’s college arm of MMQB, so it’s like a hub of sorts and they have three pieces on Texas Tech vs. Oklahoma:
- The traditions of each team.
- The recap of the rivalry between the two teams.
- And a complete guide to Norman.
Miscellaneous. DMN’s Michael DuPont has five things Texas Tech fans should know about Oklahoma . . . Sports On Earth’s Matt Brown predicts that Texas Tech will play Auburn in the Texas Bowl . . . DMN’s Chuck Carlton writes about the Baker Mayfield and Kliff Kingsbury saga (again) . . .