2015 Spring Game Details:
Date: Saturday, March 28th
Good Guys: Texas Tech Red Raiders
Location: Grande Communications Stadium | Midland, TX
Time: 11:00 am
TV/Stream: FSSW / FCSP / FSGo Video
Radio/Stream: Broadcast Affiliates and TuneIn App
What are you watching for in Texas Tech’s Spring Game?
The spring game is set for Saturday morning at 10:30 am. at Grande Communications Stadium in Midland, Texas. With those pleasantries out of the way, I have some ideas, but I bet you have some ideas too. Leave yours in the comments.
There will be an open thread on Saturday morning, which we’ll consider a test-run for the season so I expect profanity and Bloody Mary’s. Can’t win the day if you don’t win the day you guys.
- I’m watching that defensive line like a hawk on Saturday. How’s their pad level? Are they getting good leverage? Are they pushing or being pushed against a very good offensive line? I have this expectation that the JUCO guys are going to be fan-freaking-tastic on Saturday and if there isn’t this push or a few sacks, then you need to be officially worried for 2015. Yeah, I know, I’m supposed to be the optimist, but let’s not kid ourselves into thinking that the offense can totally cover up the warts of the defense. Keland McElrath, Demetrius Alston, Rika Levi and Marcus Smith. We’re watching and we hope we some spectacular play. And to be clear here, I’m not expecting miracles, but if Mike Smith is preaching basics and keeping your tail down and good leverage, then we need to at the very least see that with the hopes that we’ll also see some play-making ability.
- We need to see those outside receivers, other than Devin Lauderdale, make some plays. It should be fun as heck watching the receivers pair up against the cornerbacks. Reginald Davis, Dylan Cantrell and Lauderdale need to get some separating on these guys and they need to make plays on Saturday.
- I think a lot of pants will be flying around GCS and living rooms owned by Red Raiders as they finally get to see a glimpse of Mike Mitchell. I don’t know if I really have a question other than, “Can he play?” and I think the resounding answer is going to be yet. Then the next question is going to be, can he just play for Texas Tech forever? Possibly. I’m looking into that.
- We’re also going to get our first look at Breiden Fehoko and that’s really going to be exciting. If he has half the motor that I think he does, and I have no doubt that he does, then he’s going to be an absolute joy to watch this year. There’s no question here other than maybe what’s Fehoko’s motor revving at in the spring game? If it is as high as I think it will be, then we about to party.
- Other than DeAndre Washington, what does Texas Tech have in their running backs? Washington received so many carries last year that we somewhat have this partial idea as to what the other running backs can do. We’re kinda sure that Justin Stockton is going to be good and we have no idea about Demarcus Felton and can Quinton White be an effective blocker. We think we know, but I’d love to see it.
- I also have big questions about all of the other linebackers and how they’ll play. Other than Pete Robertson, you should see a full compliment of new players at every spot and we really don’t know how they will perform.
- From a quarterback perspective I’ll be interested to see if Patrick Mahomes can work more of a mid-range game and if Davis Webb can just settle down and not make life so hard on himself. I think he tends to do that. With Mahomes, I think he was a very short range and very long range quarterback, but I’m guessing that things should open up in the middle this year and those timing and crossing routes over the middle of the field, where it’s more dangerous to throw the ball, will be open. I think this is the biggest part of his game that needs some work.
What about you? What will you be watching for during the spring game?