Tortilla Tossin’ Player of the Game: Kevin Obanor was that guy for me, 25 points, 10 rebounds (4 offensive), 1 assist, 2 turnovers, and 2 steals. He also made 8 of 15 from the field and 8 of 8 from the line.
- Winning despite a relatively terrible offensive performance. And defensively, it’s not as if Texas Tech is locking down opponents. I am concerned. The bad news? Texas Tech shot 32% for the game and 12% from deep. Those figures were better in the 2nd half, 32% in the 1st and 56% in the 2nd, so that is good. What saved Texas Tech were free throws, only 3 attempts in the 1st half, but making 16 of 19 in the 2nd.
- The biggest thing that saved the defense was the turnovers for EWU. Statistically, they probably should have won, making 48% of their shots and 39% from deep, they were really good, and in the 2nd half those were 56% and 39%, so they kept pace with Texas Tech. Their biggest problem was that they turned the ball over 21 times.
- It should be noted that Texas Tech only turned the ball over 9 times, so single digit turnovers is a really good thing.
- Other things where Texas Tech benefited was offensive boards, 13 to 6, and points in the paint, 40 to 18 Texas Tech made a concerted effort to go inside in the second half.
- Pop Isaacs ability to hit shots and not be afraid to make shots is awesome. Never let him leave. He had 15 points on 5 of 15, but his 2nd half shots were so important. His defense is also getting much better.
- De’Vion Harmon’s 19 points were also vital and it was his 6, yes 6, steals that were key to the game and those 21 turnovers.
- Kerwin Walton didn’t play a minute. Elijah Fisher played 3 and D’Marion Williams played 1 minute. After the game, Mark Adams said that there’s a huge emphasis on defense right now and have to continue to show that and I don’t think this team can survive without those bench guys.
- The leading assist guy was Lamar Washington, who had 4 on the evening in 25 minutes. The team only had 10 assists overall. When he figures out his shot, he’ll be really good.
- Daniel Batcho didn’t play, still nursing an ankle. And I misspoke this morning, I was under the impression that Fardaws Aimiq was going to have his boot off and he actually had his cast removed, but was still in a walking boot.
- KJ Allen had 7 rebounds in 19 minutes, 5 of them were offensive. He also made 3 of 4 free throws.
- Jaylon Tyson struggled after sitting out the last game, maybe getting his legs underneath him is an issue, making only 2 of 8 and really not being close from 3-point line.
- Up next? Jackson State at Delmar Field House on Saturday, December 17th with tip-off at 3:00 p.m.